Third Generation of Trains
Further to the completion of the international Tender budgeted in total to 155 million €, the contract regarding the supply of 17 new Metro train sets was signed on September 16th, 2009; these trains will accommodate the needs of the network to include seven (7) new Stations (PERISTERI, ANTHOUPOLI, AGHIA MARINA (Municipality of Aghia Varvara), ILIOUPOLI, ALIMOS, ARGYROUPOLI, ELLINIKO).
The appointed Contractor of the Project is HANWA-ROTEM Consortium, which – as of September 2013 – has been gradually delivering Series III trains to ATTIKO METRO S.A.. ATTIKO METRO S.A., following the acceptance and completion of all required tests and certifications of the trains and the relevant systems, in line with the Contract, commenced the gradual delivery to STASY S.A. of Series III trains (a total of 17 trains) which, as of the new year (2014), shall be incorporated into the Metro operational fleet. The basic characteristics of the trains are as follows:
- are fully air-conditioned
- are friendly to the environment
- are equipped with state of the art systems
- are aesthetically upgraded both in terms of exterior and interior appearance
- are fitted with all the facilities for Persons with Special Needs
- have all necessary provisions which render them capable to accept and be compatible with all technological upgrades to be carried out on the Athens Metro Lines 2 & 3 in the future.
Special emphasis was placed upon the energy consumption of the new train sets, and the minimization of energy consumption was the key criterion on which the bidding consortia competed. Thus, Series III trains of the Athens Metro will be, primarily, environment friendly.
In short, the project involves:
- The manufacture, supply, testing and commissioning of seventeen six (6)-car train.
- The supply of the capital spare parts of the trains, the special tools, the testing and diagnostic equipment and the mock-ups.
- The three-year guarantee period for the good performance of the trains, as well as the supply of the capital spare parts and consumables for this guarantee period.
- The provision of training to the personnel of AM and to the personnel of the Operation Company (AMEL).
3RD GENERATION TRAINS – FEATURES
|Number of Trains||28 (Lines 2 & 3)|
|Train Configuration||6 Cars|
|Doorways per Car||4 per side|
|Train Capacity||188 Seats|
844 Standees (5 Passengers / m2)
1032 Passengers / Train
|Train Configuration||Two three (3)-car units coupled back-to-back|
Driving / Motor Car – Trailer Car – Motor Car
|Train Weight||185 tons empty|
|Train Operating Voltage||750 VDC|
|Traction Motors||4 Χ 175kW DC per driving motor|
|Braking||Regenerative / Dynamic / Pneumatic|
|Average Acceleration||1.10m / s2|
|Average Deceleration||1,10m/ s2 (in normal conditions)|
1,42m/ s2 (in emergency conditions)
|Maximum Train Speed||80 km / h|
|Contractor||Hyunday Rotem-Hanwha Consortium|
- Enhanced comfort in the train cabin through new stanchions.
- Increased Accessibility for Persons with Special Needs
- Moveable step bridging the gap between train and platform and special area for PSN wheel-chairs.
- Air conditioned train vehicles
- Train vehicles painted with environment friendly water-based paints.
Train interior fitted with:
- State-of-the-art passenger information system with dual-monitor LCD displays in all cars.
- Electronic maps instead of printed maps installed above the doors indicating the train direction and the next train stop.
- Cameras inside and outside the train for monitoring train doors and cabin.
- Sign indicating a door “Out of order” and warning passengers to use other doors.
Added passenger safety in Series III Trains ensured through:
- Smoke Detection System inside and outside the train
- Emergency exit windows
- Higher passenger safety during door closing and application of strict international safety regulations for door operation.
Improved maintenance ensured through:
- Closed-type motors
- Diagnostic system for train operation management
- Automated and radio system transmitting train operation status data upon train arrival at the Depot.